Campaigning for Cancer’s Advocacy Programme targets individuals already diagnosed with the disease, their affected families and medical practitioners with regards to access to treatment.
The objective: to inform the client about how to manage their liberties and gain the best results for themselves, resulting in responsible and proactive healthcare consumers; and enable the medical practitioner to provide his/her patient with up-to-date and relevant information that will aid the patient in exercising their rights.
The programme also focuses on policy development, targeting policy-making entities that affect legislation and healthcare delivery for cancer. The objective of this programme is to ensure that the patient is consulted and their views considered in all decision-making processes that affect them, thereby increasing the numbers of patients actively participating in decision-making platforms.
We achieve this by acknowledging and highlighting issues, ensuring that patients are heard by commenting on issues, reporting and educating on priority issues and by being continuously visible to the public through the media and other role players.
Advocacy issues that we have been involved in to date:
- Clinical Guidelines for genetic services
- National Policy Framework- Breast
- National Policy Framework- Cervical
- National Policy Framework- Prostate
- National Policy Framework- Palliative
- National Policy Framework Prevention and Control Cancer
- National Health Insurance bill
- Presidential Health Compact
- Ministerial Advisory Committees
- NGO Financial Support Advocacy